Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Book Club

Last night was Book Club. Out of my many social clubs, this is one of my favorites. It is sparsely and sporadically attended by many of my friends, but I love it nonetheless.

Our last selection was one of my all-time favorites, The Stone Diaries, by Carol Shields. I love this book.

It was not as instantly and universally adored as I had hoped--a lukewarm reception--but the reaction would never detract from my pure ardor for this book. Not only does it entertain me even the third time I’ve turned its pages; but it completely restores my faith in the artistry and delicacy of the written word. She prepares this lingual feast that few authors can match; elevating the most mundane circumstance to a thing of unexpected and exalted beauty.

But even more amazing than the super-literary powers I’ve already bestowed upon it, is that it actually inspires me. It literally makes me want to walk my lazy ass over to my own neglected manuscript attempt, and create..

It is a must-read, folks.

I leave you with one quote from a book which begs to be quoted from:

There are chapters in every life which are seldom read, and certainly not aloud.

I don’t know why this one just leapt out at me.

No comments: