Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Desperate Housewives

I have to admit this out loud as a Diva Public Service Announcement or an endorsement of some kind at the very least.

Desperate Housewives is one of the greatest shows on television.

Now, I was all prepared to hate this program, you must realize. While the August promos were running, I had stepped upon my soapbox condemning this particular soap. I thought it preposterous and even a little insulting before the opening credits ever ran.

But after the first episode, I was hooked. It was entertaining, and silly even. I recognized so many of those characters from around my neighborhood, and so did my friends--maybe even a little in ourselves. We laughed amongst ourselves over the parody, the comedy and the dramatic tragedy of it all.

But then last week, I wept. Yes, actual tears rolled down my face at the scene where Lynnette breaks down and admits she is not the perfect mother. She and her friends share an honest moment admitting that none of us is perfect, that we are all only doing the best we can, and it can be overwhelming at times.

And I’m not even ashamed to admit that I was so touched my this network production.

I recommend a viewing immediately.

2 comments:

ver said...

It's my HUSBAND who's hooked! I usually catch the last half-hour or so, but it's not a must-see for me. The breakdown scene was excellent, though, and I thought it was brave of them to do the gun-to-the-head fantasy sequence. Nicolette Sheridan and her plastic surgery overdose scare me...

Tracey said...

That is so funny, because I wouldn't have even started watching it if my husband hadn't started! Ha!