Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I am...

I'm angry. I'm upset. I'm sad. I seriously cannot believe that there are still millions of gallons of oil being gushed into the Gulf of Mexico while a corporation starts talking about liability caps before the well spewing its poison is even capped.

I am astounded that our governor wants to get $35 million for PR campaign on why Florida beaches can still be visited this summer instead of fighting for money to actually clean up this garbage.

I am mad that our president switched his stance on this.

I am saddened when people make environmental issues political, and forget that we are all humans on this planet and have a responsibility to be good stewards of it regardless of party affiliation.

I am disheartened when I realize that not only will untold tax dollars be spent on cleaning this up, but consumers will be paying for it at the pump and endless other costs as well. Our children's children will still be paying for the cleanup while BP from it's own website reported a first-quarter replacement cost profit of "$5,598 million, compared with $2,387 million a year ago, an increase of 135%." That's the first quarter of 2010. To a foreign company.

I am torn because I will now have to focus my charitable efforts toward helping this cause, while unfortunately neglecting other worthy causes.

So to all of those who still wave rally towels to the ridiculous chant, "Drill Baby Drill,"--take those towels down to Key West and start wiping off an oil-covered dolphin.

This is where I work. Where I play. Where I live.

I am seriously frightened that it won't be here after me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Kim Moldofsky said...

Amen!

(Kim from #NWFMoms)