Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Not-so Fat Tuesday much longer if I can help it

I'm hoping that by my Lenten example, Tuesdays will never be Fat again...

Late last year I gave up soda. I gave up fried food. Permanently. My New Year's resolution was to eat healthier, so I think I'm sensing a theme here when I declare for Lent I'm giving up as much processed "food" as I can. The more unpronouncable the ingredient label, the less likely I will be to consume it.

I've kind of already started this by quietly changing out a lot of the things we eat, but during this forty days and beyond, I will try that much harder to eliminate the junk and take more stock into what we put into our bodies. Not so much for the weight standpoint (which I am not taking for granted nor will I turn away a slimmer waistline) but more for our overall health. I'm becoming more and more concerned with chemicals and processing these days.

Okay, off my organic soap box and off to munch on a Birkenstock.

Happy Mardi Gras.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Always knew you were as crazy and right-on as me!! If you haven't already, the DVD "Food, Inc." is something you should watch. Lots of good reading from the guys who put that documentary together, too.

Tracey said...

I'm ascared to watch Food, Ic. even though I'm vicariously inspired by it. Do I have to watch it or can you just tell me what not to eat?

Lori said...

I was also afraid, esp. after watching/reading Fast Food Nation (blech!). It's not as bad, actually rather inspiring! Ck out http://www.foodincmovie.com/ and make sure you listen to Joel the farmer from Polyface Farms. The real take-home message from this documentary is that these food producers will give us whatever we demand- we just don't seem to demand much.