Friday, September 23, 2005

Typhoid Amy

Oy. Last week you'll recall Baby Diva getting pink eye and an ear infection? Well, here we were on day 9 of the antibiotic regimen with clear eyes, but a raging fever of 105. So, being the observant mother I am, I think, this is probably not normal, better get her to the doctor.

After a particularly long examination, it is determined that eyes, lungs, ears and throat are clear. They take a CBC which indicates an elevated white cell count: infection.

Without being told, I know this stunning revelation will now require my baby to be catheterized. I then predict that no medical professional will be able to catheterize her (as we've been done this road before) and that it won't matter anyway, because I know she doesn't have a UTI.

I am a freaking soothsayer, because after 7 hours at the hospital, all of said things are true.

She did get I.V. antibiotics and several blood draws in the interim, so the preliminary diagnosis is a blood infection. I have to take her back in tomorrow to repeat the tests after 24 hours and get more results.

As soon as the last drop from her IV seeped into her tortured veins, she started to feel better. Her fever has come down some, but certainly still boiling.

There is nothing worse than holding your baby down while someone hurts her, no matter how necessary the procedure may be. Or not.

I will update more on Typhoid Amy this weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tampa Bay's 10: Blogging Hurricane Rita
With Hurricane Rita bearing down on the Texas and Louisiana coasts, Tampa Bay's 10 has sent anchor Mario Diaz and photojournalist Adam Vance to report their firsthand experiences with the powerful storm and its ...
Hey, you have an excellent blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a mlm lead lists site/blog. It pertains to mlm lead lists marketing mlm related leads.

Come and check us out if you get time :-)

Trisha said...

Poor baby! Maybe it's all the sleep she's getting in the afternoon because her brother's are at school. Or maybe it's all the germs they are bringing home from school! I hope she feels better soon and that someone can figure out what's wrong.